Friday, March 8, 2013

OK, OK, it’s not quite spring

8Mar13

 

All the signs seemed promising so I declared Spring! last week. Now winter storm Saturn is slamming southern New England. Here in central Massachusetts, the 4-8 inch forecast is now 10-14 inches. We closed the tax office today so I did not have to commute to work. My updated planting schedule has me planting peas and fava beans in the soil on March 24, just 16 days from now. Right now, I would need a snow cat to get to my garden in the Bolton community gardens. But a week or two of 50 degree weather will do wonders and it is supposed to be that on Saturday. So I have not given up on spring yet.

onion-seedlinsg-8Mar13

 

My onion seedlings under the grow lamp above are definitely a sign of spring. I finally got my Red wing seed from Pinetree (actually, they substituted Red Bull) and it has sprouted (pot on the left). The Rossa Lunga di Tropea (center) and Copra are doing great and almost need a haircut. Next weekend I am scheduled to start my brassicas and eggplant on the heat mat. I will be using my newly acquired soil blockers for the first time, so it should be interesting. I will be able to get my hands in “real soil” (Johnny’s 512) for the first time this season. Spring is definitely here and I will not allow my spirits to be dampened by 2 feet of frozen mashed potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness for the green of your seedlings! They can help dispell the gloom of continueing winter conditions until that warmer weather arrives. I hope it all melts fast for you (and soon!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your taking the time to comment and value what you have to contribute to the discussion.

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC