Monday, September 19, 2011

Harvest Monday–19 September 2011

I haven’t done much in the garden this week. The tomatoes are about gone, just a few green ones still on the tops of the vines. On Thursday I had a random harvest of tomatoes, a bell pepper, a cucumber, and my last and very woody Icicle radish. I did replant the radishes so hopefully they will enjoy the cooler weather we are now having (night temps in 40s). The salad bed was also re-planted and is coming along, but probably another week or two before I start cutting.

Tomatoes and a radish

I cut the first of the kale for a batch of Portuguese kale soup, most of which was frozen. This variety is Beedy’s Camden, supposed to be similar to but more tender than Winterbor. I did not buy seeds last winter because I usually pick up a 4-pack of plants at a local nursery. This year I could not find Winterbor anywhere and I don’t like the Red Russian which seems to be the fashion now. And then I could not find seeds either without doing mail order. So I bought some plants from a local gardener in town, which turned out to be this variety from Fedco. It is interesting. Grows lower and more spread out than Winterbor. Leaves are not as dark blue-green and curly.

Beedy's Camden kale

The pole beans are now completely dead from the halo blight (see my post) and there were no more unaffected beans on the vines. The bush beans gave me another good picking but probably my last. What was depressing to see was that some of the bush beans now show signs of being affected by the blight. In the picture below, you can see some of the lesions on the bean on the top of the pile. My task this week is to remove and dispose of all the dead bean vegetation and vines on the pole bean trellis. I may also have to pull the bush beans.
Bush beans

To see what others are harvesting, go on over to Daphne's Dandelions

10 comments:

  1. It's always a little sad when the weather starts to turn and the garden is winding down. I am quite excited about our fall and winter veggies, though! I'm jealous of your kale already! I waited to sow ours so it's still itty bitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn, it is frustrating when a disease or pest gets a foothold in your garden and it seems that there is nothing you can do about it. Halo blight for you and rats for me, I was cursing a blue streak at them this afternoon as I discovered their damage in the tomatoes. Why, oh why, do they have to take a few bites out of each and every one of the biggest most beautiful tomatoes on each plant?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kale looks great - I make a Portuguese Potato and Kale soup - perhaps its like yours...an underappreciated veg here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kale variety looks a lot like Dwarf Siberian Improved which is a variety I am quite fond of and grow regularly. My bush bean patch is slowly winding down as well. I never expect them to give me more than a super prolific two week run and when I manage to get more out of them I am delighted. The pole beans on the other hand should keep producing until frosts and I find it frustrating when they give in to various diseases and go down early in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bee Girl, Liz, kitsapFG, I usually set out Winterbor kale plants in late May, early June. I find up here it takes time for it to get established. By late August I have nice sized plants I can cut and I am ready for it (seems to me to be a Fall type veggie, not a salad green). This week I walked around the community garden and all the Winterbor seemed to be about 18 inches high, not like the 3 foot plants I had at this time last year, so weather must be a factor.

    The Portuguese kale soup recipe I use is in the Victory Garden Cookbook and has diced onion, potato and carrot, tomatoes, chicken stock, red kidney beans, chopped kale and chouriço (I use kielbasa or smoked beef sausage).

    michelle, I have seen your references to rats several times on your blog and it boggles my mind. Do you set traps or poison baits? I would. The past couple of years we have had a pair of Eastern harrier hawks nesting in our backyard somewhere. That's what you need. Early summer we could look out back and see 2 parents and 3 fledgelings sit in the tress or on top of the swing set, waiting for one of our "rats" (squirrels, chipmunks) to meander by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your beans. Problems like that can be discouraging, but we can never give up. I'm going to have to try that Portuguese kale soup with the kielbasa! That sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Very helpful advice within this post! It is the little changes that will make the most important changes. Thanks a lot for sharing.These type of posts keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more. I enjoyed reading your articles .. good luck.
    margot robbie leather jacket

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Winter Sale LerenJack Is offering up to 60% off upto and an extra $30 off with the code SAVE10 Visit Ryan Gosling Blade Coat

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first time that I visit here. I found so many exciting matters in this particular blog, One thing I would like to request you that pls keep posting such type of informative blog nba youngboy jacket

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy to come across this piece of write up, very much advanced my understanding to the next top level. Great job and continue to do same.Arrow Oliver Jacket

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your taking the time to comment and value what you have to contribute to the discussion.

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC